March 20th, 2013

More than Mexican: Study highlights diversity of Latinos

By Michael Martinez and Mariano Castillo, CNN

Los Angeles (CNN) - Jonathan Larios hears it all the time: Someone walks into his Honduran restaurant and they think it's a Mexican place.

"Oh, I hate that. That bothers me a lot," said Larios, 21, general manager of two Los Angeles-area restaurants called Honduras Kitchen. "They always ask, 'How's the Mexican food?' It gets frustrating over time.

"It's like the most race that people always see is black, Mexican and American. They don't see anything else," said Larios, whose mother is Honduran and father Salvadoran.

His first-hand experience shows that some Americans confuse all Hispanics as being Mexicans.  While it's true that Mexicans make up the largest segment of the Hispanic population in the United States,  a new Brown University study that shows Latinos are hardly a monolithic group.

The demographic has wide differences in nationalities that are becoming more salient, the study said.

"When studies are done of Hispanics, the results mostly reflect the experience of Mexicans, who are more than 60% of the total," the study says. "But observers would be mistaken if they thought they knew Hispanics in the U.S. by looking only at Mexicans."

The large percentage of U.S. Hispanics of Mexican descent, an overwhelming majority, inadvertently hides distinct trends among Hispanics with origins in other countries, according to the report released Wednesday.

The differences extend to cuisine, too, Larios added.

His parents own both restaurants, in Long Beach and Huntington Park, the latter being in business for 20 years, making it the oldest Honduran eatery in the state, he said.

"I tell them our food is very different," he said of customers who confuse Honduran food with Mexican dishes. "Most of our food doesn't have anything hot and spicy. Our food will never be spicy."

Hondurans are proud of their heritage and often emblazon the flag on their soccer jersey, whether they're playing in a neighborhood league or cheering for the national team, he said.

Many non-Mexican groups are growing at a faster rate, and doing better economically, the study found. In another telling figure, Hispanics other than Mexican are much less segregated than often assumed.

While the number of Hispanics who identify as Mexican has increased 137% between 1990 and 2010, those with other origins have grown at a much faster rate. During that 20-year span, it is estimated that the Honduran population in the U.S. increased by 383%, Guatemalans by 289% and Peruvians by 204%.

"Mexicans are not losing their weight, but some groups who were small and not on the radar now number in the millions," said John Logan, one of the report's authors. "South Americans are now everywhere, and if you add them up, they are a huge number."

The three largest groups of Hispanics - Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans - make up 62%, 9%, and 4%, respectively, according to Census data. Central Americans make up 8% of the Hispanic population, and South Americans 5%.

In 1990, only three Hispanic largest groups had more than a million residents in the United States. By 2010, Dominicans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans had joined that club.

One of the findings seemed to show that the national perception of the Hispanic population is closely tied in with the Mexican community. There is the persistent idea, for example, that Hispanics in the United States are insular and segregated from other non-Hispanic communities.

"The very stable trend of high segregation is one attributed to Hispanics, but it turns out it is mainly a characteristic of Mexicans," Logan said.

According to a measure known as the Index of Dissimilarity, every Hispanic group except Mexicans has become substantially less segregated since 1990.

Other generalizations persist.

"There may be a general assumption that Hispanics are immigrants, which was never true for Puerto Ricans," Logan said. "There may be a generalized assumption about relatively low education and skill levels, which does not fit average Cubans and South Americans, and increasingly not Puerto Ricans."

The data indicates that below the surface, there is a great deal more change within the Hispanic population than commonly thought, Logan said.

These differences could be important to advertisers who target Hispanics, or politicians who seek their votes.

"I suspect that on the whole, their view of the Hispanic community is that of it as one community (the Mexican community) and that's probably not a strategy that will be really helpful," Logan said.

Logan conducted a similar study in 2000, and his most recent research was a continuation of that to see if the differences he spotted 13 years ago remained. The patterns and trends have become even clearer in the past decade, he said.

The report also took a look at certain social and economic characteristics of the different groups that showed various degrees of economic success. One measure examined were the median wages of each group.

While the median annual wage for Mexicans in the United States was $20,200, wages were much higher for Argentines and Venezuelans, both with median wages of $30,300.

This finding wasn't surprising, as social scientists have long noted that those with roots in Cuba and South America tend to have different economic backgrounds.

But one group that is sometimes assumed to be insular and employed in lower wage jobs, Puerto Ricans, are actually doing quite well, the study found. Puerto Ricans have increasingly integrated with the rest of the population and have a median wage of nearly $30,000.

Posted by
Filed under: History • How we live • How we look • Latino in America
  1. Bert BigDongler

I never thought John Leguizamo was Puerto Rican. Why is CNN accusing me of saying John Leguizamo is Puerto Rican on slide 5? You make up a straw man argument and then accuse me of being racist. I knew John was Columbian right from the start. However like Tony Montana I don't care much for Columbians, never trust them in a financial transaction, but that is a different topic.

March 21, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

Tony montana? You mean the cuban character played by an italian man with,the last name pacino?

March 22, 2013 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. west coaster

I am greatly insulted when someone i meet off the street doesn't acknowledge my German ancestry immediately!

Pride is one of the deadly sins....God made you Mexican or German or Peruvian, what do you have to be so proud of? You didn't do it!

March 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Forteaneye

My Puerto Rican partner and myself never cease to be amazed at how ignorant most Americans are about Latinos. They really do think all Spanish speaking people are from Mexico. Also when American tourists first go to Puerto Rico they are often surprised at how "civilized" it is, not realizing it has a strong culture going back to the 1500's.

March 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jose Reyes

The sugar produced in our island of Puerto Rico fed the american industrial revolution and even before the americans INVADED us in 1898.

March 21, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • AniyunweahCherokee

Way to generalize just like they do. Most white thinks spanish speaking people are from spain where spanish was invented. Cortez effed up more people and killed more indiginous people than the rest of europe combined. Spanish isnt your language hun, especially if youre indiginous. Your language is tsalagi. Yataheh osiyiu gvgeyu et a keetowah aniyinweah hawa, a-ho wado. Thats your language. Not hola amigo.

March 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jorge

Well, I guess it must be as one of the mechanics at work enlightened me about concerning my own culture when I lived in Georgia. He said-"Ah dunno wah y'all purturiccans is such foodies, most o' whut y'all eat is nanners any kinda way." Jaw-dropping what one can learn about oneself in "Murrica."

April 8, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JC Copeland

What I see that is truly sad in my heart is the "American" press escalates, or increases, a division between peoples of different ethnic backgrounds to make news of the "struggle" of minorities in this country. When I grew up in San Francisco all of my "amigos" were from Mexico. funny thing though, as I found no difference between thenm and myself as we were all "Americanos". They came to eat at my house and I came toeat at theirs. we dated, and married, and raised families without borders. I was a member of "Los Gavilanes" (The Hawks) because in my high school I was the .05% minority. each race brings a beautiful culkture to this country as did the German, Irish, and my heritage (The Scottish). The Afro-American was there as well although their families had been imported by Kaiser Steel on a one way ticket to Hunter's Point to build ships for the 2nd World War. we were, and are, Americans. what has been lost here is that our peoples have lost pride in themselves and reverted back to where they came from for support. Problem really is, if it was so dynamic there, why are they here? We are the "leftovers" of an industrial society that has gone down the toilet and we remeber where we came from. Latino and Mexican both refer to Spain as it was their that they were founded. Hell, California was founded by the Spaniards. look at the name.....When will people stand up together and declare they are Americans? I find the dissatisfaction in all people to accept where they are and who they really are discomforting as it detracts from a simple scripture: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:but when I became a man, I put away childish things". each of us in this country has made a step forward to become a mna9or woman), why do we still hold pon to childish things??? .

March 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fonz

to add
      Florida, Los Angeles, Texas, Arizona allfounded by Spaniards

March 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bert BigDongler

You took the words right out of my mouth!

March 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mark Thomas

And if it's not hard enough, you have Hispanic X Latino. If you are Hispanic, you are Latino. But if you are Latino, you are not necessarily Hispanic. One thing is certain: if you were born in any country in Americas (except USA) you know the difference.

March 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • greasy phil

There is no such thing as a true American race.. we all have our ancestry from different places. Does this mean we whites can flip out when someone mistakes our European ancestry? A mexican the other day called me a Scottish-American. I should of pulled the racist card because my ancestry is from GERMANY

March 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Archivedd

Really? Everyone else in the Americas can tell the difference between Hispanic peoples? Are you absolutely positive about that or do you just want to take a swipe at people from the USA?

March 21, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bert BigDongler

Are you telling me "Pitbull" is not the guy's real name? I thought that was a common Cuban name.

March 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. greasy phil

Next time a Latino person calls me "American" I will definitely flip out and say I'm GERMAN American. Such a double standard.

March 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Honry

Amen, they want special treatment, recognition and benefits, while putting America second.

March 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jorge

No special treatment, but my livelihood, my family and who I am come first, what you think I owe you comes in dead last.

April 8, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fernando

Not a real good analogy. More correctly analogous, would be you traveling through Europe and somebody identifies you as a Canadian. Would you bother to correct the European? Probably.
      Your analogy is more along the lines of you traveling through Venezuela and identifying a person as a Venezuelan, and taking umbrage, he corrects you as his ancestry is Basque/Canarian. This would never happen.
      You have, however, clearly communicated that while you have a very strong opinion, you do not have much knowledge or understanding of the geography, history or culture of these countries.

March 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. zach

Welcome to america.

p.s they didnt mention how other latinos get pretty upset if you call them something else especially mexican.

March 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Fonz

Its funny how some people are so racist while being so ignorant. More than 50% of the surface area of the United States @ some point belonged to Spain, and Mexico after its independence. California has been a part of the US for less than 200 years. Most of the land of the US has been either purchased or conquered. The inhabitants of California or Texas that are white are more likely to be of Spanish – Mexican descent than anything of your "pure"( whatever that means) american.

March 21, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike J

Great comment!

March 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bert Bigdongler

One time a Hispanic through a Scotch-American was an Irish-American. What a racist, eh???

March 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SHELLY

I always wondered when this would be acknowledged. Being half and half, Mexican and Salvadoran, I still feel bothered when people assume all Hispanic people are Mexican or when they say we speak Mexican. Seriously?

March 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AG

So, I was hoping to find some good Honduran recipes in the article!!!

March 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Luis

I think that most latinos are Mexican! Thats why they get stereotyped. Now as for the economic differences if they are here its because they were struggling back home; if not they probably would have stayed. Integration... yea these other countries had to integrate faster because they dont have a large enough community to not integrate. Common Sense!

March 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosy S

the SW of U.S was Mexico first before it became part of the union ...
      in those states, Mexicans were already there before the gringos moved in

April 12, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. thepoet

It's called the tanning of America, folks. Everyone falls in love and changes the color cast a bit. People are beautiful no matter who they are. Frankly, from what I can observe these days, pasty white is getting uglier all the time.

March 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Salvatrucho

100% Latino,
    Not Mexican,
    Not Chicano,
    Latino,
    Get it right!!!!!

March 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mo

Thank you for bringing this to the light. I've been saying that for years... Not all Hispanics are Mexican, and every country in Latin America is different, they have different cultures, different foods, currencies and economies. The only thing that links the countries in Latin America is the fact that they were emancipated from Spain, and therefore Spanish is the national language. Oh and please, don't ever ask: Do you speak Mexican, because that shows your ignorance right there.
    I don't even get mad any more, I just educate those who make this mistake...
    mm.

March 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • SHELLY

VERY WELL SAID!

March 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Archivedd

I call BS on whoever coined the term Latin America. You don't speak Latin.

March 21, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jose Reyes

Some historians agree spanish is one of the languages that is an almost identical offspring of the latin of the romans. In fact if a roman were to time travel to today, he could be having conversations with a spanish speaker in a short amount of time.

March 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. garota

I always thought of myself as a "Latina" , never as a hispanic, uintil I came to the US. The main reason was very simple. I f you are from Brasil( ++190 million people) your native language is Portuguese.Many non Brasilian South- Americans ( I noticed the more educated ones) have a revulsion for the word hispanic. Yeah, is time to work together, we are multiracial and multicultural in our own countries,and the label should not matter. In the meantime any Brazilian would still be labeled as hispanic. Latino is a term that INCLUDES everybody, even if you are from any of the 3 Guyanas, the Caribbean and the Brazilians.

March 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Archivedd

Stop using the term Latin. Latins are from Latium. Learn history and stop stealing from another culture.

March 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosy S

my Brazilian friends say they are not Latino

April 12, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Oscar

I'm originally from Costa Rica, and was fortunate enough to immigrate to this awesome country thanks to my father's efforts when I was four. Am I proud that I was born in Costa Rica, not really, since it wasn't by choice, but I sure am proud as hell to have chosen to become a citizen of the greatest country on earth U.S.A! I would ask my so called Latino brethren to stop harping on this country and adopt it and assimilate into it like I did. I'm not saying forget where you're from, but feel proud of where you are now by choice!

March 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. His panic

Not neccesarily you can add Beefsteak with fried onions, or as they call it in Puerto Rico Bistec-encebollado!

March 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JohnKMFE

Hope your sarcasminator is on.

March 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Soraya

This is true of people within the Hispanic culture themselves, especially Hispanics born here. They call any Hispanic of a certain look "Mexican" and there is confusion among all people that Hispanic is not a race but a ethnicity. There are blonde blue eyed Hispanics, black Hispanics, etc. My only issue is regardless of where you are from or your family is from if you choose to be in America as an American citizen then you are American period. You can have pride in your country of origin but at the end of the day if you choose to be here then take pride in your country of choice.

March 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosy S

yes, i'm glad more people are thinking this way ... but still many do not ... I'm American of Chinese ancestry, and I have had people wanting to know 'what country' I'm from and that I 'speak English real good'. just the other day at the supermarket, this middle aged guy jokingly told me 'oriental food is thataway... hahaha'.

April 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  23. AthensGuy

We are all Americans. Time for US citizens (such as myself) to stop hogging the name of the whole continent

March 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Maracucho Rencauchao

I work in the online space in Latin America for a US company. I have to explain this a lot to my American co-workers. On the flip side, growing up blonde with light eyes in Latin America, I was constantly asked "what part of Scandinavia" I was from by my fellow countrymen... the exact same lack of cultural understanding at work. So its not just an American thing, though the G.U.M. are pretty pathetic!

March 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bert Bigdongler

What's an online space. Is that like a gap tooth

March 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Denise Cuban and Proud

Really Mike! can you be anymore stereo typical

March 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bruno

You think this is hard to get across to most Americans. How about you there were born in south america, but not Hispanic and don't speak Spanish. Guess where I was born? (but not raised)

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • tawny

Could be a number of countries: Brazil, Guyana, Surinam, French Guyana.

March 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bert Bigdongler

Do I have to guess? I am not very good at guessing games. Scarred for life – ever since at age 6 when my daddy asked me to guess my mommy and I got it wrong and he started laughing.

March 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. His panic

Smoking weed is still Ilegal in most States.

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Minority Report

Agree..!

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Hola! This is Juan carlos Giovanni Bonilla-Lario de santo from itally-salvador-Ireland and somehow ARAB too

And I'm Lovin' it

March 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  30. m1234

You think the Hispanics are worried about accurately guessing the nationality of caucasians?
    Who cares, get over your race baiting.

March 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. enfilmigult

Oh God, the restaurant is actually named "Honduras Kitchen" and people still think it's a Mexican place? That is embarrassing.

March 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. croco3

I always tell the story of a friend of mine, half Mexican, whose family moved to Arizona. Visiting one church, the mother (100% Mexican) was offered chances to make some extra money (housecleaning, dog walking, etc)
    Turns out the woman had a PhD and was moving to Phoenix for a teaching position!!

March 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Blizzard of Lies

It's interesting that the pictures of Latnos are mostly Cuban, but all are from the Caribbean. No Central or South American. And of all the Caribbean Latinos, none of them are Blatinos (Black Latinos). But sure let's not confuse all Latinos with Mexican. There is a lot of racism in the Hispanic community.

A better article would talk about that; racism in Latinos, and how they mostly all want white skin, blond hair, blue eyes, and straight hair.

March 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cibao

Mira maldito prieto de mierda..

March 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
      • Blizzard of Lies

Speak English

March 21, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priscilla

That's definitely a "blizzard of bs" if you ask me, not every Latino(a) wants to look Caucasian I get more compliments for having natural tan skin instead of looking like a plain white bedsheet with feet, which is what many of these beach blonde bimbo types try to imitate poorly on a day to day basis.

March 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
      • Appletini

I prefer light skinned Latina.

March 21, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. AthensGuy

another generalization: All Latin Americans are native speakers of Spanish. Sorry: Official (romance) languages spoken in Latin America are Spanish, Portuguese, French. There are also multiple non-European languages.

March 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • tawny

Don't forget Dutch, in Surinam, English in Guyana

March 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Hey buddy, you are correct...but you left out a few. English is also a "romance" language and is spoken in Guyana. Also, Dutch is the official language of Suriname, which is next to Guyana.

March 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jose Reyes

English is not a romance language. It is a germanic language from the germanic tribes called the angles and the saxons.

March 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Greg

Last time I checked Mexico has plenty of good universities, plenty of culture and is one of the most advanced countries in the world and certainly one of the most Latin America. It's people are generous, kind and hardworking and that is true of its blue and white collar workforce.

The US and Canada's insatiable desire for cocaine, meth and heroin and our laws to stop it have caused the violence they feel there. I don't know the solution for the violence they find themselves in, but for us to label "Mexican" as bad is not only wrong but sending a bad message to our children.

Much of the Latino violence in the US isn't caused by Mexicans. Much of it is caused by people of more southern countries like Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua, all of which also have a large poor population fighting to make it to the United States to improve their lives.

The only thing I would ask of all citizens of the United States no matter what race or geographic background, is to protect, educate and lead your children down the right paths in life. Teach them values that lead them toward education, understanding and health. This is not always easy if both parents have to work, but if we focus on our youth we will not only save our future but our children’s and countries future.

March 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jose Antonini

There is... one of the most intelligent people has a good comment. Mr. Crappy If you say that Hispanics are not Americans then what is it?, Are you?, Once agin, America is not USA. USA is part of America. Hispanics blood lines comes from the very very first Americans who walked the continent more then 3000 years ago. Americans are not the caucasians people, white men are immigrants from Europe, HELLOOOO!!. P.S. The Governor of Puerto Rico Juan Ponce De Leon named FLORIDA, Florida 55 years earlier than pilgrim colonies. Then who is American? My recommendation see History Channel if you have not cable then PBS.

March 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • crappygovernment

Everyone who snuck in post 1965 flipping of the USA's immigration laws is merely a foreign scab who will probably have to go back at some point.

March 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. croco3

Really?
    You wanna tell me that not all asians are chinese, either?!!! How about those people wearing "funny" things on their heads, they are not all arabs and muslim??? (Scream!!)
    I'm reminded of the time I attended this panel, discussing problems immigrants face, and one of the immigrants who spoke was this white guy, blonde hair, from Amsterdam! And I was like, what the ....
    Yes, when we buy too much into stereotypes and propaganda, and lose the ability/will to look beyond them, this is what happens. In the age of information, this is as ironic as it can get!

March 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosy S

no, us Asians aren't all Chinese ... granted Chinese immigrants were the first group of Asians back in 1849

April 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. PetePete1

Living close to the Mexican border most of the U.D.A.s caught crossing ARE Hispanics,but its not unusual for Border Patrol to catch Chinese as well,believe it or not.

March 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Minority Report

Who cares? Why are you people expecting the other to know all of their origins? I am Asian and not Chinese and I am careless of whatever they call me. Same shiet when you call a White guy American.

March 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosy S

yes, Pete,
      Chinese smugglers have began bringing main land Chinese into Mexico than try to cross the boarder

April 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John Simon

MS-13 would definitely agree with the premise.

March 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Elia

As a Peruvian that lived in the US for 5 years I did encounter some people that believed all Latinos were Mexican. I was asked several times where my country was and yes it did bother me to be confused as a Mexican citizen just because I'm a Latino woman. Excusing this behavior just because the majority within the Latino community has a Mexican origin is very ignorant too. Up to now I do not get why the people in general that live in the US likes to talk abt differences ALL the time instead of what link one to another human being in order to pursue a bigger goal in life.

March 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Archivedd

So if a Canadian or Irishman gets called an American while vacationing in Peru he should play the race card and get offended for attention.

March 21, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jose Reyes

This will all be irrelevant in the future as paleontologists agree that in the future due to an ever increasing globalism and ever increasing advances in travel there will be no way to distinguish ethnicities at least physically, in the human race. In fact the only way we will maintain the least amount of diveristy is if we colonize another planet, the people of that planet may develop other traits. So all that racial superiority, arian crap will fortunately dissapear from our mindset one day. By the way I'm puertorican and I get the Mexican stuff from americans A LOT. Some of it inoffensive, some of it on purpose. But I don't lose sleep over it.

March 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arturo

Reyes, I agree with your comments. At the end of the day, we would become a new race with traits from all differente spectrums of the rainbow.

I am a Mexican born, good college education, my salary is way above average and most of my friends are white. People tends to ask "Are you Cuban" I always say "heck yeaa, I am Cuban, I am Mexican, Puerto Rican but also an AMERICAN!

March 21, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  42. really???

This article does not take into account the fact that all Latin American countries themselves are very diverse. Mexicans are brown, short and chubby right? Well, there are 10 million indigenous people in Mexico (who would fit the stereotype in the minds of many), but there also are 20 million white mexicans and 200 000 black mexicans... I happen to be 100% mexican, tall, fair skinned with blue eyes (it doesn't make me feel any superior, I was just boen like that, it's not something my hard work or intelligence earned me). I always get asked (in the US and in Mexico) whether I am German, French, or some other European country, and I usually get the "Naaahhh" look when I say I'm Mexican. I'm pretty sure there are white Hondurans, Peruvians or Guatemalans as well. We are all full of stereotypes, it's not a white fat republican thing.
    Being proud of our origins should be a way to embrace the world, not a menatl ghetto...

March 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. All I can say is....

South American women ARE f* HOT!!!!

March 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pablo De Rose

We think the same about your f... bi...es!

March 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Minority Report

Well...I hate it when I have to choose between English or Spanish whenever I go to the bank or such. Why can't we just do English only since this is America.

March 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jose G

"Half of all South Americans used to be located in Los Angeles, New York and Miami, but by 2010, only 34% lived in these cities, the study says."

Interestingly enough, I'm a South American (Peruvian) who used to live in Miami, and now live in Silicon Valley.

March 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. All_seen_eyes

It doen't matter where you from, just do the right thing. Take care of your children, this is the best thing you can do for any country. When a child comes to this world, it is because there are two people waiting for him or her; a father and a mother. Let's produce good citizens! We are from Puerto Rico, my wife and I. I'm been working for 27 years, my wife for 25, proud of my community in Texas, diligents with our responsibility paying taxes, and even more pround now that our two sons graduated from UTA as engineers!

March 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. z2cents

NOt all people crossing the border are Mexican..a lot are from central america.

March 21, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. MGS

I have been told that there are those living in other countries that take offense when the US press and the US citizens refer to themselves exclusively as "Americans". Only in the USA are we to assume that when we read/hear the term "Americans", they are referring to US citizens. In other counties they make a specific distinction by saying, "Estato Unidentes"... and Americans (Americanos) supposedly refers to anyone from North, Central, or South America. Is this true?

March 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mbc

Right... because America is a continent, not a country. You call yourselves Americans but keep in mind that if you say "americano" (that's Spanish), you'd be referring to any person from the continent... whether Mexican, Uruguayan, Canadian or US American.

March 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pablo De Rose

Yes, it's true! Starting at elementay schools, we latinos celebrated every October 12th. the Discovered of the New World by Christopher Columbus in 1492, the discovered of AMERICA. He landed in the Dominican Republic, and he named the whole land to the west of Europe "AMERICA". He probe that the world wasn't flat. So has been divided in modern times in North,Central and South America, and American is anybody borned from Canada to Argentina. People feels as an act of driscrimination, when a citizen of USA call itself American, segregating anybody else bornd in the same land discover by Columbus.

March 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Vid

Wrong. Puerto Ricans are BORN American Citizens, therefore their American time is not borrowed, is a birthright.

March 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Sylvia

When people ask me where I am from, I tell them I wa bron in Chile but raised in Canada, their question. Do you make tacos? I get so mad and tell them, I am not Mexican, in Chile we don't eat or make tacos. Everyone thinks that all hispanics are either from Mexico or Spain, Suprise there are 26 Spanish speaking counties.

March 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pablo De Rose

I'm Argentinian and this happende to me too! I always responde: Are you Southafrican or Australian, since you speak english? 🙂 So, don't assume I'm Mexican 'cause I speak spanish!

March 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Kirk

Why are people so proud of their culture? So what if you they confuse? I am colombian and get confused all the time? doesn't make a difference. It seems that people want to stand out so much they will find any reason to assert their identiy as unique. kinda like hispanics confusing all orientals as chinese.......who cares? really why is this even news....People are so proud of their accidential birth ....why be proud of something you cant control? you can control where you were born...so why are you proud and offended by an accident?

March 21, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  51. MGS

March 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  52. brad

I just wanted to take the time to say, "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." I'm part native American, jerman, and indian, but am white, and people just see me as white. When I wake up and look in the mirror, I see a white guy, I don't see a native American german indian guy., when I see a Hispanic person, I say Hispanic, black is black, it's a description. When I get to know you, and you tell me your full heritage, I still won't think much about where you are from, I will just see you. When are people going to learn, you are not your country, your country is you. If the people in a country change, then the country changes. If a new volcano pops up, the country changes, but the people will stay the same. Get what I'm trying to say? On top of that, what exactly have Hondurans, along with over a hundred other countries done that has made much difference in the world? Make a difference, and more people from other countries will take notice, and you will be known more. There are plenty of white and black countries that most people know nothing about, so quit whining about a nothing. Okay, I feel better, rant is over.

March 21, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • FloridaTipo

Brad, I think you missed the point that several others were trying to make: Hispanic is an ethnicity, NOT a race. Hispanics come in all colors...Black, Brown, Yellow, and White, or a mixture of these. If you label someone as "hispanic" just becaise of how they look to you, then you are continuing to buy into a stereotype of what they look like. Also, not all Blacks are the same ethnicity, despite how they may look. African Americans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Dominicans, Afro-Cubans, Afro-Brazilians, and many other groups are all DIFFERENT in culture, languages, and perspectives....despite whatever common African ancestry they may share. Not realizing this is as offensive as thinking all hispanics/latinos are Mexican.

March 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jose Antonini

Puerto Rico has been part of U.S. since 1898 and Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizen since 1917. Going back in time, Puerto Ricans were not classified as Hispanics during war time after Vietnam era. US soldiers from Puerto Rico served as white or black at that time. Even today in some parts of US, white or blacks hispanics are not classified as hispanics. I believe that many information has been lost regarding with Hispanics contribution to USA. Stereotyping and discrimination is the number one issue for all of us (US). USA is not limited to 50 states, it is also 5 more territories. Also United States of AMERICA is not the whole continent of AMERICA. It is a lot more.

March 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MilitaryAF

The 'United States of America' is a COUNTRY and does NOT imply the entire continent. AMERICA is NOT a continent, it is a COUNTRY located in North America, which IS a continent. We share this continent with Canada and Mexico, though the US/Mexican border is quite a blur. Puerto Rico is a U.S. POSSESSION, something akin to a colony. Their residents are U.S. Citizens, though they don't pay taxes to enjoy a majority of the same benefits...

March 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • devenangel

America is a continent sir. The USA is a country in NORTH American. Any one born from Alaska down to Argentina is AMERICAN. That does not mean they are a US citizen but they are also American. READ A BOOK for God's sake.

March 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
      • Wifredo Lopez

Puerto Rico became territory of the US as well as Cuba during the Spanish American war in 1898. For your information the United States would never give up such precious and strategic land because it is located at a very desired Military location . Look at it this way any incoming invasion from Russia China just to name a few, would cause great concern to this great nation. Lets not go to far back in history and remember what took place during the Cuban missile crisis during the early sixties . At present Puerto Ricans choose to remain a Commonwealth and for the majority of us that seems to just fine.

It is a a fact that Puerto Ricans, voluntarily serve in all branches of our great country. To include many have died in the line of duty, as in the II World War , Korean War, Vietnam War, the Iraq War and Afghanistan. My family and I have deep roots in defending our great nation, and will continue to do so without hesitation because we love this nation. It makes me sad when people like you speak nonsense. My farther served during War World in Normandy and experienced the fears and bloodshed during such dark times and was extremely proud yet horrified of what happened. I vividly remember asking my farther back in 1979 in Puerto Rico, would you do this again ?" and he proudly answered yes", and I asked why ? his reply was " this is the best civilized and human country on this planet even with its faults and my decendants will know about this".

March 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  54. bcinwi

well they have one thing in common......not american

March 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • OCanada

As a Canadian I hate when people call me an American. How embarrassing (eh?)

March 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erick

I'm an American. I was born in Guatemala and became an Amercian citizen back in 1993. I'm 45 years old...I moved here (legally) at the age of 2 with my mother. Regardless of where you are from...we all bleed the same color and we are all human beings of this world. Every race has its good and bad people. I hope someday that everyone will lose this racial divide thinking.

March 21, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • AthensGuy

We are all Americans. Time for US citizens (such as myself) to stophogging the name of the whole continent

March 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Kendra

In the western part of the US, all "Hispanics" are labeled "Mexican". In the northern part of the east coast you care labeled "Puerto Rican" and in the southern part of of the east coast you are labled "Cuban". What I find interesting is that when you ask "Caucasians" 'what are you?' a majority say "white"...most of them don't know...or don't care...which is what a lot of Hispanics/Latinos care too much about...be an individual and not a stereotype...

March 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • His panic

Well said Kendra! Most people are making a big deal out of something that is not.

March 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Anthony Garcia

Why did this study leave out Spain? My family immigrated to New Mexico from Spain. The study is right about people thinking all Hispanic and Latinos are Mexican. Ignorant people constantly label me as Mexican, and refuse to be corrected. They say I'm just embarrassed to admit I'm Mexican. If I was Mexican I would be proud to say so, but I'm not. My family emigrated from Spain. I'm Spanish. I'm proud. This study is just going to create more ignorance by leaving Spain out, because a lot of people in the U.S.A. are Spanish too.

March 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prof. Joe

It takes a study at Brown University study to show that Latinos are hardly a monolithic group? I am amazed that people do not know of the wonderful and interesting Spanish speaking peoples of the Americas and, of course, Spain.

It is a good thing to remember that we are all Americans, not just we who live in the USA. And no, I am not a Latino, I am Italian-American, so I know where xenophobia takes you.

March 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vilma

Probably because people from Spain are Spanish not Hispanic. Although people from Spain are latin (just like people from Portugal, Italy, France) they are not considered Latino by American Standards.

March 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. chriswiseowl@gmail.com

Yes, there is a big difference between Mexican and other Latino nationalities from different countries in the western hem.. A major difference in culture. The same as there is a major difference between European cultures, although most Latinos consider ALL white people to be just that–European and white.
    The one sameness, however, is that there are 23 countries in the Western Hemisphere, 21 of which are some form or brand of Latino, yet Latinos seem to think that ALL countries in the West should be Latino, and cant's seem to understand or accept that there are 2–only 2–countries who don't want to be "converted to Latinoism. Latinos can go to 21 countries to be successful, and comfortable with other brands of Latino, yet they all seem to want to come here. WHY?

March 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Lycidas

While I understand the frustration, one has to keep in mind that the US isn't very diverse in a way. Yes we have diversity but not even put out. Look at my Mid-Ohio Valley area....we are majority European American. We have some Koreans, Indian, Native American..etc but only here and there.
    Just as we are "white" no one asks if I'm German, Irish or Italian.

March 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Adam

If we collected the tears of every "upset" or "insulted" person in this country we wouldn't have a water shortage out West. What is the point of this article? Is it to care what Caribbean island the parents of the general manager of a restaurant I'll never visit might be from. Is it to feel bad for the man because he's sad that customers who patronize in his restaurant didn't properly research the unique differences of the 633,000 Hondurans living in a country of 320,000,000? Is it to subtly tell me that I should spend my Saturday mornings researching the cultural background of the food I plan to eat later for dinner? You know, I wonder if this guy would know the differences between my Cornish heritage and my Welsh heritage? Many Americans also think fettuccine Alfredo is Italian, or General Tso's is Chinese, or that the Irish eat corned beef and cabbage -- and so apparently many think Honduran food is a variation of Mexican – that's just the ways it is and has always been in these situations. If this guys wishes his customers were more informed than he should market his product better and build a stronger brand. I just fail to see the point of this article.

March 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • His panic

Very well said Adam! He needs to market his Restaurant better. But you should research your choice of Restaurants also. It will not take more than 15 minutes with the help of your Web connection.

March 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Vid

Not all. Actually, according to this article, 9% of them are born American citizens before we even come to the US

March 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Salero21

Actually Latin is an ancient LANGUAGE. IS NOT an ETHNICITY much less a race.

Latin was the Language of the Roman Empire and is still in use in the Arts, Medicine and Science.

So "Latino" is really a MISNOMER, is not an accurate description. The real "Latinos" if there are any really in the world, would be the Italians; Specifically those residents of the city of Latina 60 Km south of Rome by the Mediterranean.

The whole confusion stems from the unproven Theory that ALL Romance Languages evolved from the Latin. Among these the Romanian should be included, something that as a Fact is almost unknown.

Today's Spain was called HISPANIA in Latin by the Romans, therefore the names Spain, Spaniard and the term Hispanic. In the same way Germany was called then GERMANIA, Britain was called BRITANIA and France was called GALIA.

So Hispanic is correct for people whose vernacular is Spanish or who are of Spanish ancestry not "Latino". In the Geographical region of the world called "Latin America" not everybody speaks Spanish and not everyone have Spanish ancestry.

But to understand this requires a little time study and research. Also if somebody was born in the US or has become a Citizen then they should be seen as and be called Americans. Anyways the confusion is not going away because many, especially the Mexican insist on calling themselves "Latinos" when in reality they are NOT.

March 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Salero21

To the above I want to add the following.

The name or term "Latin America" as someone else already pointed out well; includes the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. However not all countries in the region or the South American Continent speaks a "Latin" language or is a descendant of Spaniards. The Bahamas, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, Surinam and many other islands of the Caribbean are English and Dutch speaking countries. The ethnicity of the Caribbean islands is mostly African black.

In Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay there are large communities of German and Jewish ancestry. Above all, the Aboriginals of the Continent and the Region as a whole do have their own well defined ancient Dialects and Ethnicity.

March 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  62. polkovnik

"The three largest groups of Hispanics – Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans – make up 62%, 9%, and 4%, respectively, according to Census data. Central Americans make up 8% of the Hispanic population, and South Americans 5%."

Exactly - contrary to the facile assumptions of East Coast politicians and commentariat.

March 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Salero21

You have made a very good point in making reference to the East coast.

March 21, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • MGS

62%? 9%? 5% of what? Of the world's population? Of the Latino population? Of the immigrant population in the USA?

March 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. ohbehave

I am scottish. Some people confuse me with an Irish person....or even Australian!

Regardless. It does not matter. I'm not a victim. Most people do not spend their days trying to understand my "vibe" or my ancestors.

Again. It does not matter. I am not the center of the world and the world does not owe it to me to be sensitive to my culture.

Please people. get over yourselves as your oh-so-amazing diversity.

March 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Thank you... It too me a paragraph to write what you captured in one sentence.

March 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Ian Curtis

Interesting. Kind of like how all non-people of color are labeled "white" even though there are numerous sub-groups.

March 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Don Julio

As a Mexican-American, all I can say is to give white people a break! We expect them to be trained FBI agents who can notice subtle differences between races. The same people complaining about this cannot tell the difference between a Cambodian and a Laotian, or from an Indian and Pakistani, or from an Arab and Iranian. I've been mistaken for almost every possible race and I could care less.

March 21, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • His panic

Very well said Julio!

March 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. ladeeda

If we want to make the GOP behave, and do what the polls say and what voters actually want, all we have to do is point out how many of those polled who want to cut tax loopholes for the wealthy or want spending stimulus for job creation, identify themselves as Hispanic. The GOP are so desperate to court this particular group of voters, they will actually pay attention to what those voters say they want.

March 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. TruthandConsequence

Words like "Hispanic" and "Latino" are imprecise, politically correct terms used by themselves to form a wider political base in U.S. politics. Largely code for Mexican, the imprecision of the expressions is not inclusive of European Spanish and Portuguese from the real "Hispania" nor of European French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italians, Romanians and maybe a few others whose languages are deeply rooted in Latin. Brazilians and Argentines, loaded with European based populations, are not what we think we say "Hispanic" or "Latino" – instead, most typically, it is a reference to Spanish speaking Central and South American mestizos who have come here after various revolutions and wars or to take advantage of our lax borders. Although, in that context, Spanish speaking though they may be....I would guess many liberal and leftish Hispanics doubt America's Cubans are really Latinos...because, well, Hispanics and Latinos are supposed to be in favor of illegal immigration and various lefty causes...and, certainly, never support the GOP!

March 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Netta

When I lived in Jersey, there was a mixture of latinio/hispanic people. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans and a few Mexicans. Now that I live in the south, the majority down here is Mexican. From MY observation, the difference between Mexicans and other spanish people is that the Mexicans refuse to assimilate...they do not like to associate with others that don't share their culture...and that includes other spanish speaking people

March 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave in NC

Not really in reply to you per se, but I think its a little journalistically PC of CNN to always have the Hispanic reporters (these two and Ruben Navarette) always be the ones to report/blog on this topic. I do not think that represents a balanced viewpoint in the long run.

March 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Alex Saltijeral

I'm 1/8 Arab, 1/8 African 1/8 French, 1/8 Spanish, 1/8 Puerto Rican, 1/8 Mexican and 1/8 American If you track my ancestry, and I´m 1/8 Respectful of all the races ando love diversity!!

March 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Desrae

I could be ignorant and say my PR welfare working self is probably paying taxes to support your ignorance and any ignorant children you may have in the future, but I chose to to spend my time educating enlightened minds in our society and our future world changers. I avoid educating the ignorant individuals who are keeping our society back. For the record, stereotypes really get you nowhere in society. The fastest growing fiscally strong group is Hispanics. If you stop assuming they are all illegal Mexicans, you will realize that there are Hispanics in positions of power and upper management in several Fortune 500 Companies, Universities, etc.

March 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  71. CG

Mexico is not part of South America, it is part of North America like US and Canada... Colombia (with O) and countries below are in South America! Geografia Senores Geografia!!!

March 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • EyesWideOpen

You are wrong. Mexico is not part of North America. Not that it makes much difference but Mexico to Panama is Central America. Look it up.

March 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
      • His panic

EWO,

CG is correct! The Continent of SA starts in the border of Colombia and Panama. Central America is called a Sub-continent but is still part of NA with Mexico. You need to look it up in any map.

March 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
      • AthensGuy

you must be kidding... NA = MX+US+CA

March 21, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
      • dnfromge

North America, the planet’s 3rd largest continent, includes (23) countries and dozens of possessions and territories. It contains all Caribbean and Central America countries, Canada, Mexico, the United States of America, as well as Greenland – the world’s largest island.

March 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
      • Backcountry Panacea

Um, last I checked, Central America was not a continent. All of Central America is part of the North American continent

March 21, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Human

Just like white isn't Britisher always.

March 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mech4nized

I send you a message of peace. From now on, we will ALL be refered to as "North Americans."

March 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Saltijeral

I agree =)

March 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • EyesWideOpen

If only everyone would assimilate. I know probably half a dozen people who have been in the US for 30 years and STILL don't speak a bit of English. Speaking the dominant language of a society is critical to being able to properly communicate. If you can't communicate, there's a barrier that prevents you from being more productive.

March 21, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Mr. Mexican

Eyes Wide Open...I'm starting to think you're over 65 years old. It"s so easy to find that Mexico is part of North America. As for assimilation–what does "assimilate" really mean? My mom, for example, does not speak a word of English; yet she shops at nice malls, cooks all sorts of food (not only Mexican), is a good citizen, pays taxes, has never been on government assistance, and keeps her home clean. So, my question to you is–what do you really mean by "assimilation"?

March 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  74. jboHDrider

I simply can't beleive that CNN posts this racist article about how white people are racist and don't know there are different races of hispanic people, but the only evidence provided is one guy who works in a resteraunt. This is amazing, no real reporting, just throwing around racist acqusations with absolutly nothing to back it up. THe study sited simply says what we all know, there are more than one race of hispanic people in the USA.

March 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • davidjmoscoso

I think the article is focused on identifying differences in culture and contrasting those differences with the concept of ethnicity. I'm not sure this is racist, as it doesn't antagonize, it's simply an advocacy piece about cultural divisions within what is generally considered to be a generalized group.

March 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Want

excellent, wonder if they know that 'white' people can come from 'different' countries?

March 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmeriCant

This article is just more pandering/propaganda to destroy this country.

March 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • cjacja

Yes, using only ONE supporting fact is very poor reporting. My bet is that CNN pays so little that no author can justify spending many hours or days on one article. So they knock this junk out in a few minutes as fat as they can type. Buy a subscription to NY Times or something of you want edited copy.

But the article was correct a lot of people simply don't know. Here is a question? Which country has the second highest number of native Spanish speakers? (hint, Mexico is #1 with about 120M people) Answer the US is number two with 54M. (these are mostly US citizens counted by the census)

The word "latino" technically means a person born into a culture who language is derived from Latin. and this would include Brazil and technically even France and Italy but no one uses the term "latino" in that very technical way. Today onthe street the term is interchangable is Hispanic which means "Spanish speaking"

Technically the first Pope was "latino", he spoke latin. But we don't use the term that way.

March 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  75. daniel

well in your comment just take in consideration that geography puts Mexico in North America...

March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Hillcrester

I could not agree more! Our cultural diversity is one of the country's greatest strengths.

March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  77. mexlov

I am Mex-American..Born in the US. Yes I am American and yes my parents are Mex. I've been confused as Persian by Persians, american-indian, italian, Spanish and I DON"T CARE.. it's NOT A BIG DEAL.. Good Lord people get over it! I LOVE my Mexican heritage, but I appreciate all cultures and find them very interesting.. I think it's cool when people can't quite figure me out and I think it's an opportunity to educate someone that may not know many outside there own race.. It would be nice if people asked before assuming but it's still ridiculous to be offended because we turn around and do the SAME thing to someone else

March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  78. cacique

That is just to make it easy on yourself. You do not have to look at any map to discover the almost fifty other countries that complete our beautiful American Continent.
    Take a peek and be marveled. Admire all those names. Challenge your self, find the names of their capital cities...
    have you ever heard the word Paramaribo? I am sure you have heard Montevideo.. come on, do not be shy

March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Manny

Here is the ignorance displayed to its fullest. Mexico is not South America, not even close. This type of the US provincial mindset is what fuels the racial problems that we continue to have. Notice I did not use American mindset. That is intentional since ALL in the Americas, be it North, Central or South are Americans and feel offended when we think we have a lock on that nomenclature.

March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Robert

"They are" or "They're" not THERE. Ironic that and Anglo doesn't know his own language....

March 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  81. elisandro1977

Hispanic is not a race and "white" is so general that it has no real meaning. There are a lot of ethnicities that fall under the white race and most white people of the world are not of Anglo British decent. One hundred years ago Irish and Italians were not accepted into the “white” American main stream and now most people consider them "white". Let's be realistic, for many generations "white" culture in America really meant Anglo American culture.

Hispanic, Black, White, really don’t have any meaning anymore and with each generation the terms become more obsolete as our society becomes more integrated. By the way, many "white" Americans have Native American ancestry also, mostly from the Eastern side of the nation such as Cherokee.

March 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Susanna

I am half Cuban and half American of Scottish-English-Dutch ancestry. I was born in the US. I am a mutt basically. I have dark brown hair, green eyes and fair skin. I have lived my whole life with people thinking that I was either Italian, Hungarian, Eastern European, or French. None of them even remotely accurate 🙂 However, when I say I am half Cuban, I get the "But you're not light brown skinned, you don't look Cuban".....I also get the "Hispanics/Latinos are not white" comment. Why don't people understand the concept that nationality and race are two completely different things? Just like I can be a white Cuban, my cousin or friend might be an Asian Cuban, or a Black Cuban. It's ignorance and stereotypes that are causing the friction between ethnic groups. Not all Mexicans are brown skinned and work at Mexican restaurants. Not all Irish people drink whiskey. Not all Cubans are tanned and came over on a boat. It's time to put down the differences as a means to separate and alienate, and be proud to be American, with as much pride as where your particular family came from.

March 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Remi

same situation here... I receive all the time comments lke " you do not look Mexican, you look more like from Spain or Italy" I guess stereotypes are everywhere.... but I take that always as an opportunity to teach people a lesson by telling them that "as Americans ascendants are from Europe works the same for the people living in Latin America and that Latinos are not only from Latin America, actually Latinos come from Latin countries in Europe..."

March 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  83. David

Mexico is part of North America.

March 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Me

It is great to be a multicultural society.

March 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. GG1991

And what of Brazilians? The country surrounded by mentioned ones but remains at a crossroads in terms of ethnic classification due to a difference in language. This obsession with classification has stemmed from racial tension and has caused more question then answers.

March 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • heh

They would be latino but not hispanic...

March 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  86. thinkagain!

the problem with the mexican culture in america, they are not inclined to assimilate. i think it's ignorance and fear of the unknown. they tend to hang together under the "la fimilia" banner but is basically lack of intellectual curiousity and bravery to expose themselves to the wider america in terms of culture, education and politics, which is bad for america in the long run as their numbers grow exponentially.

March 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Mona

Mexicans are North Americans.

March 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  88. MGS

Do NOT ask for taco sauce to go with your Papusas and Licuados.

March 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ShingoEX

Let's get hung up on stupid terminology again...BRAVO!

March 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Dave

Dude, how did you fit so many spelling and grammar errors in such a short sentence?

March 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike in NYC

Skilled planning and determination???? lol

March 21, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  91. krp123

my personal favorite is when people call Hispanics, Latin Americans, etc, "Spanish"

March 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Rafael T

Nothing has changed, then? When I went to college stateside (a loong time ago), one of the first questions I was asked was: "How did you get here from Puerto Rico?" I explained I first had to buy a pair of shoes, then take my donkey down to the city, jump in the ocean and swim over to Florida, where I was able to catch a plane to South Bend. The person's eyes opened wide, and exclaimed "Really?"

March 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vid

That's hillarious, I will use it someday. Ive had people ask me for my green card to get a job, or say that I came to the US to take their jobs. Someone said thay I should go back to the other side of the border, and I was like, to Jersey? (Im in NYC)

March 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  93. ja

It is NOT a Liberal or Conservative issue. It is an issue by the people of different places who come to America and who want to remain connected to their heritage. They haven't been in America long enough to just want to be an American, it's all new and it's scary. My ancestors came from Ireland and were treated like trash in the beginning because most American's were and more than likely still are, prejudice against foreign cultures unlike themselves. The Chinese went through it also, and every other culture as they assimilated into America, which is not an easy task. With people of light skin once the accents are diminished and a second generation melds into society there is little to distinguish them, however people who's skin and features are distinctly different have a much harder time, so they cling longer to their heritage. Of course looking at your ridiculous statement, you are looking for reasons to divide and dislike. Your statement reflects how sad a person you must be. Try thinking of the positions in reverse, with you being the person to go to a foreign country,,, you might want to even try it, might open your eyes and heart.

March 21, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  94. barpaza

There are millions of White hispanics from Raquel Welch to Cameron Diaz. Hispanics are not a race at all. and in fact they live in many continents North, Central South America and Caribbean.
    The only thing in common is the language. I have many friends from South American that are black and even Asian others are blond and so on.. very beautiful variety

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  95. cacique

That is where the problem shines..
    Hating them all without knowing them all.

There has to be a least a few that you would like
    if you knew them

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Carlos

"Mexicans make up the majority of South Americans in the United States".... really?? South Americans? Mexico is part of North America, as well as Canada and the US. South America starts from Columbia to the south! It's not about confusing everyone to mexicans, it's about the huge ignorance of knowing what's outside of the US.

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Mike in NYC

Funny – I always thought that Hispanics were from the island of Hispaniola and that everyone else was Latino?

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vid

Technically, not even them, since the island is divided in 2 countries, Haiti and Dominican Republic.

March 21, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
      • Jose Reyes

I think the whole americans not knowing the almost 7 million puertoricans, inlcuding those that live in the mainland are US citizens is an insult. I don't take it so slight. That's just my perspective on it so nobody has to agree with it.

March 21, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mexican in Chicago

Even though Mexico is south of the U.S. it is actually in North America. South of that is Central America and finally, south and east of that is SOUTH America.

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  99. davidjmoscoso

Mexico is not part of South America, it is one of three countries in North America (the other two being The United States of America and Canada).

March 21, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  100. ana

And how do you think the British got here?

March 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |